Promotion of Junior Researchers at the German Institute for Adult Education – Leibniz Centre for Lifelong Learning (DIE)
- Methods Centre for Qualitative Educational Research (MzQB)
- DFG Graduate School „Learning, Educational Achievement, and Life Course Development“ at the University Tübingen (LEAD)
The academic support program at the DIE refers to doctoral and post-doctoral students and provides them with support suitable for their specific group.
The DIE promotes young researchers in acquiring career-oriented competences, with individual support and facilitating professional perspectives.
The structured postgraduate education at the DIE aims at effectively and systematically providing support to young researchers with their doctoral thesis and qualification for a career in research or practrical adult and continuing education. Postdoctoral researchers focus not only on writing their postdoctoral thesis but also on the systematic preparation of a career in research as head of Junior Research Group, junior professorship or specific individual support e.g. in the Leibniz Mentoring Programme.
Main topics of the structured postgraduate education:
- Introduction to empirical education research: traditions, strategies and research designs
- Procedures in empirical education research: qualitative and quantitative methods
- Individual specialisation of qualitative and quantitative methodological skills in accordance to the PHD-project
- Acquisition of general skills, which are useful for a career in research (e.g. science communication, scientific writing and target group oriented presentation skills)
Activities as part of the structured postgraduate education
- regular, structured course offering (available for all DIE Research Associates)
- extensive and obligatory scientific counselling
- additional cross-institutional courses in cooperation with other universities and research institutes
Activities for the postdoctoral phase
- provision of Junior Research Groups with personnel and budget responsibilities
- provision of junior professorship in cooperation with the University of Kaiserslautern (2013-2016)
- individual support in the form of scientific stays abroad, conferences, and postdoctoral experiences e.g. guest and deputy professorships
Dr. Christian Spoden
Telefon: +49 (0) 228 / 32 94 - 141