Hector Research Institute of Education Sciences and Psychology (HIB)
Research Foci in the Network:
Acquisition of Competencies and Professionalization, Knowledge and Participation, Education and Equity, Returns to Education, Educational Monitoring and Information
Educational science, Mathematics, Psychology, Sociology, Subject-matter education
Contact at the Institute:
Prof. Dr. Ulrich Trautwein
The Hector Research Institute of Education Sciences (HIB) and Psychology is a research institute within the University of Tübingen. The HIB focuses on individual, social and institutional determinants of learning and teaching processes. We take an inter-disciplinary approach drawing from psychology, educational science and other disciplines. The HIB is mainly funded by the Hector Foundation II. In addition, the state Baden-Württermberg funds a postdoc academy that forms part of the HIB.
Research at the HIB can be grouped into the following six focus areas: (1) Eduational Effectiveness, (2) Motivation, (3) Personality, (4) Teaching quality, (5) Research on methods and, as cross-cutting theme, educational research in the field of MINT (mathematics, computer science, natural science and technology). The HIB played a leading role in the establishment of the LEAD graduate school (Learning, Eduational Achievement and Life Course Development) which is funded by the excellence initiative via the German Research Foundation.
Important work and services:
- The HIB is responsible for the mulit-cohort longitudinal studies TOSCA, which examines educational biographies of high school students, and TRAIN, which analyses effect of learning environments in lower tracks in secondary education.With Professor Hasselhorn (DIPF) he HIB also runs the scientific evaluation of the Hector Children’s Academies.
- Regarding research on methods the HIB develops new statistical tools and strives to make them freely available as software (see e.g. https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/nlsem/index.html))
- The HIB coordinates the Baden-Württemberg Fondation’s Network Educational Research which seeks to establish a broad data basis on the transition to vocational training.
- Within the National Education Panel Study (NEPS), the HIB coordinates the focus area „From Upper Gymnasium Level and Transition to Higher Education, Vocational Training, or the Labor Market“ together with Professor Maaz (DIPF).
- Basic mathematical competency in secondary schools and in vocational training
- Configuration of Learning Types during Home Work: Conditional Factors and Consequences
- Formative Evaluation of the Hector Children Academies
- Fostering Motivation in Mathematics Instruction (MoMa)
- MILES: Methodological Issues in Longitudinal Educational Research
- National Educational Panel Study (NEPS)
- The Capturing of Teaching Quality Through The Use of Student Evaluations
- Think – The Use of Digital Media in the compilation of education-psychological knowledge of teachers from variable fields of education
- Tradition and Innovation. Development at High Schools in Baden Württemberg and Sachsen (TRAIN)
- Transformation of the secondary education system and academic careers (TOSCA)
- Use of Strategy of Children With and Without Numeracy Difficulties: An Eye-Tracking Study
- LEAD Graduate School
- Leibniz-WissenschaftsCampus Tübingen „Cognitive Interfaces“
- MILES: Methodological Issues in Longitudinal Educational Research [only available in German]
- Network on education research by the Baden-Württemberg Foundation
- Pathways to Adulthood