Ifo Institute – Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich
Research Foci in the Network:
Acquisition of Competencies and Professionalization, Knowledge and Participation, Education and Equity, Returns to Education, Educational Monitoring and Information
Contact at the Institute:
Prof. Dr. Ludger Wößmann
The Ifo Institute is one of the leading economic research institutes in Europe and at the same time the one most often quoted in the German media. Ifo conducts international high-quality research and intensively promotes junior researchers in economics. Ifo is member of the Leibniz Association and it co-operates closely with the University of Munich (LMU) within the CESifo Group. The Ifo Institute is a European think tank that forms a bridge between academic research and public discourse. It focuses on applied economic research with clear policy implications with a view to achieving greater stability, prosperity and cohesion for Europe and the world. As one of the centers of the Ifo Institute, the Ifo Center for the Economics of Education focuses on the investigation of determinants and consequences of education.
Important work and services:
The Ifo Center for the Economics of Education works particularly in the following areas:
- The center investigates current issues in the area of economics of education and makes the research results available to the community of researchers as well as to policy-makers and the general public.
- The center’s research results contribute to policy advice and the economic-policy debate in Germany and Europe.
- Based on international surveys conducted by the OECD like PISA and PIAAC, the center promotes the scientific investigation of student achievement and adult competencies in Germany and other countries.
- By evaluating policies with (quasi-) experimental methods, the center aims to bring evidence-based policy advice into the political decision-making process.
- The center coordinates the European Expert Network on Economics of Education (EENEE), a Europe-wide think tank funded by the European Commission.
- The center participates in NEPS, the National Education Panel, which collects data on the development of skills and education processes in Germany.
- The center provides the ifo Prussian Economic History Database (iPEHD), a database for micro-regional empirical research in economic history in particular in the areas of education and innovation.
- National Educational Panel Study (NEPS)
- PIAAC-Leibniz-Network (PIAAC-LN) Acquisition and use of competencies in adult age–Network on analysis, further advancement and dissemination of PIAAC
- The political economy of education policy: Insights from a public opinion survey